Thursday, February 23, 2012

Out to dinner with the Devil

So Brian and I decided to go out to dinner tonight.  So of course we took the boys.  OH MY GOSH.  So I just posted about Zachary and how he is acting out.... well it's more like the devil has possessed his body.  He is never happy anymore, mischievous and ALWAYS getting in trouble.  No amount of spanking or time outs makes an impact.  He also no longer independently plays he just independently gets into trouble.  Like today, I checked on him because it sounded like he was getting into my desk drawers again but instead I found him sitting on top of my desk tearing up papers and then throwing them onto the ground.  So he was spanked and put in a time out.  What does he do right after he gets out of time out?  He climbs the desk chair and gets right back on top of the desk.  Yeah he did it three times in a row. 

Anyway, so back to Brian and I decided to go out to dinner tonight.  It's just a fast food burger joint no big deal.  So when we sat down we had our drinks but were waiting for our meals and Zachary totally flips out because I wouldn't let him hold his juice box (why put squeezable juice boxes in kids meals.... THEY SQUEEZE THEM).  So Brian takes him out to the Jeep to sit in his car seat for a time out.  Apparently it seriously was an exorcism.  I just sat in the restaurant and totally ate my entire meal.  Zach wasn't crying anymore when they came back in but he was huffing and was totally sweaty from his ordeal.  It didn't even take 5 minutes before it started up again.  So it was my turn to take him to the Jeep.... turns out this time Zach wanted to stay in the Jeep.  He was just as much done with us and we were with him.  He calmed down right away when I put him in his car seat but I still sat in the Jeep for a few minutes.  Then asked "Do you want to go back in?"  He freaks.  So I figured he just didn't understand what I was saying.  I got out and started to unbuckle him.  He freaked out.  He actually grabbed the buckles of the car seat and was trying to rebuckle them.  So I locked the doors and went and got Brian.  Good thing he was done eating because we just got Zach's dinner to go and we went home.

?????????????  I don't even know what to do for this kid??  It makes me feel like such a horrible mom.  Brian told me not to take it personally and blame myself. It makes me sad that I can't seem to help him or make him happy right now. 

So another thing to document is today we started sitting Zach on the toilet.  The other day we bought a toddler seat that goes on top of the actual toilet seat so they don't fall in.  I think those kids toilets that you sit on the floor and then dump when they're done are totally disgusting and unsanitary.  We are not trying to potty train Zach.... we have no hope that he will actually go to the bathroom on the toilet right now.  We just want him to get use to sitting on the toilet every three hours.  We are trying to set the routine now.... and maybe someday using the toilet will happen.  Mostly this is for me - I'm trying to get into the routine before Brian goes back to work and I don't have his help as much.  Turns out - Zachary LOVES it.  He loves to sit on the toilet.  He doesn't do anything but sit there and when we take him off he gets very upset.  Go figure.

5 comments:

Kyla said...

Yup, sounds about right! Good luck! Just keep putting him in time out so he know you are serious. Aeryn spent and entire afternoon/night in her room for being naughty. Discipline sucks!

Amy Smith said...

It gets better I promise!!!!!!! Little boys are so awesome!

Aubrie said...

Ho-ly crap. That sounds like a nightmare but I can't stop laughing (sorry).

Clark and Kristen Daniels said...

LOL...you sound like me on my first one too. It gets easier....seriously. It takes repeated times in time out before they get it. It just gets frustrating for you in the meantime. The age that he is in is hard too. He eventually outgrows it.

Becca said...

That is whay my friend Natlie does with her youngest! Where ever they are, if she acts up they go sit in the car! she hates it and screams but it works. I am TOTALLY there with you! You have heard me say MULTIPLY time that Jackson isn't "public" worthy! Sometimes it's just not worth it! It doesn't make you a bad mom, quite the opposite! Showing him that he cannot act that way in fact makes you a GOOD MOM!