Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I heart music





K.... I'm having issues getting back on top of blogging so I'm back tracking a bit. So.... a week or so ago(Monday 2/23 to be exact) I went to a fantastic small venue concert with my music buddy Shauna Mahana in Phoenix at the Rhythm Room. I was VERY excited when I got there to find out that the band Alternate Routes was playing. They are a band that I had recently stumbled over and had made a note to check out their CD.... so fate decided to have them visit little ol' Phoenix for me. LOVED them! They are reminiscent of The Damnwells but have more blue glass roots creating cool add in's like the harmonica, etc. In one song the lead singer (Tim) grabbed a yellow plastic tool box.....??? Come to find out that during the next song he used it as a percussion instrument! The top shelf of the tool box had tools and junk in it while the microphone sat in the main bottom compartment of the tool box. So on every 4th beat of the song he'd shake it - creating a totally cool sound. Never seen a tool box on stage before. Kudos for creativity boys. Ku-dos! Anyway so after Matt Wertz (love him... he's an awesome on stage personality) played for a while I finally told Shauna I was tappin' out and I was ready to go.... went to purchase merchandise. Which I of course decided to buy both of the Alternate Routes CD's. On the way out BAM we ran into Tim the lead singer (actually it's Shauna who was like HI!.... I didn't have my glasses on and it was dark so I would have walked right past the dude). So we stayed and chatted it up for a bit. He's totally cute and cool. He ended up giving us another CD (their originally recorded CD I think) and asked if we wanted to hang out after the show.... Negative. Had to be a responsible adult and go home to bed since I wake up at the butt crack of dawn. DARN. I must put in a note about their guitarist..... he's AMAZING! seriously he's probably the most talented guitarist I've ever seen on stage. He's so good Matt Wertz borrow him for the evening. He should be doing gigs with BB King.... on his free time.... because if the Alternate Routes break up I'll cry. They're the best thing to come from Connecticut since ivy and preppy sweater vests.

No comments: