Monday, February 20, 2012

Receipe via Dianne

My Mom visiting Alexander when he was in the NICU in Fresno

Zachary loved my Mom's new iPad.  This was the morning she went home.  We wish she was still here.

So both times now that I've had babies my mom has come and helped me out.  And the number one thing that helps me out is that she totally takes care of dinner when she is here (being a wanna be 50's housewife I stress if I don't have dinner ready.... which 9 times out of 10 I don't..... so, yes, I'm a failure).  The second thing she did that I swear I'd pay her to do if she would continue to do this on a daily basis - is she magically always kept my tile floor clean.  Anyway, so back to cooking....... both times she has come I've gotten hooked on a certain thing she has made.  This time it's "Chopped Steak"  which is a weird name that doesn't fit the dish.  So I renamed it Fancy Meat Loaf.  Here is the recipe via Dianne (I always have to make sure to get my mom's VERSION of the recipe... and even then I still have to call her to ask questions because she always leaves out steps or something in her version.  She's always like "oh yeah, I don't do that.  Or, oh I do this instead.")  Thanks Mom!! :)

Fancy Meat Loaf

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 chopped fine onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

Gravy:
2 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups beef stock
2 cups chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 350.

Combine the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire, onion, garlic, parsley, ground mustard, bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shape the mixture into 6 equal-sized oval patties.

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the 1 T. oil, and 1T. butter. When the butter foams add the patties and brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a 13X9 inch baking dish. Drain all the fat from the pan but leave any browned bits. I do the patties in two batches adding more oil and butter. Put the patties in the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until the meat is tender and doneness desired in the middle, about 20 minutes.

Return the pan to medium heat and melt butter for the gravy. Add onion, and thyme and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook stirring rarely, until the onions are slightly browned and soft. Sprinkle in the flour and mix until fully incorporated. Stir occasionally, until the flour is lightly toasted, 3 or 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Slowly pour in the rest of the stock and stir until smooth. Let it come to a boil and cook until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 8 minutes.

I made homemade mashed potatoes to go with this.

1 comment:

Aubrie said...

Your mom is such a good cook. It makes me want to live with her.