Monday, December 13, 2010

50's housewife post


It's been a while since I've done a 50's housewife post - please accept my apologies.  I actually could have had tons of them from the last month but.... I've just been to crazy and busy.  Who knew that staying home with a kid could be so busy and stressful sometimes?!  This update and information is actually dedicated to Kristen, i'm so so sorry I forgot to email or call you with this information so you ca use it with adorbale little Easton!

Tonight I had a baby food cooking night because Zach was all out of his..... but don't be fooled!  Grown ups can eat everything I made tonight as well!  Here are some recipes:

Creamy Risotto with cheese and broccoli - I actually just used the recipe and directions on the back of the box (Bellino Superfino Arborio Wide Grain Rice is what I bought) because tonight was the first time I'd ever made it. Next time I make it I'm going to adjust the recipe some though.


Note for other mom's:  I have no idea if Zach likes this yet.  He was already in bed for the night when I finished making it.  I did puree this some, Zach doesn't have teeth yet so he does need texture... but can't do whole grains of rice.  This meal can grow with your kid because as soon as he can handle it I just wont puree it.
Note for adults: Brian and I just ate it all cheesy and we liked it.  I only put the broccoli in Zachary's but next time I'll add blanched broccoli florets and cooked cubed chicken to all of ours and it will be a meal! 
 
Bananas with Blueberry Syrup:  This is SUPER easy.  I just steam (i steam them in my baby cooker - you can do the same thing in the microwave or your handy dandy veggie steamer) the blueberries and then strain them through a mesh strainer and Voila! instant blueberry sauce.  Straining is necessary for babies because the skins and stems (I'm not about to go through and check if there are any stem buds on the tiny blueberries!) will cause problems.  I then just blend up a ton of bananas and add enough blueberry syrup to make it purple.  There you go - that's it!  (I don't add anything to this... it's just bananas and blueberry syrup combined)

Note for other mom's:  I freeze this mixture in ice cube trays.  Once the "ice cubes" are frozen, I remove from the tray and put in a labeled ziplock bag and put back in the freezer.  Then it's ready to be defrosted in the microwave and add baby oatmeal and some water (or breastmilk) and you're little one will have a delicious meal.  When I add it with baby oatmeal (you can use the other grains like mixed grains or rice cereal as well) I usually only defrost 2 or 3cubes.  All babies are different - some eat more, some eat less. So start with 2 cubes and see what portion your kid likes.

Kristen these frozen fruit cubes are Zachary's favorite thing in his mesh feeder!  Just cut part of the ice cube off so you can easily slide it into the mesh and then add the rest off the ice cube as well.  The little opening doesn't fit a full ice cube but the mesh does, so just shove it all in, close it up, and get ready to clean purple gooey mess! :)   (I strip Zach down to his diaper - it's just easier for me to clean him up that way.... and we save his clothes from destruction.)  The frozen puree is soooooo much easier then putting a piece of banana into one of those things.  If you just put in a banana then you need a freakin' pressure washer to clean the mesh out.  But with the puree ice cubes all you have to do is rinse the feeder and throw it into the dishwasher! These ice cubes are fantastic for when the babies are teething! This puree also makes great, healthy ice pops for kids - just use those little popsicle makers and freeze.

Another thing Zach loves in his mesh feeder is cantaloupe.  I cut up an entire cantaloupe and froze the rest and now I'll have it for him all winter long. The soft juicy flesh of fruit is the perfect thing for the mesh feeder so you could use any type of melon or fruit (any melon, peaches, pears, plums, etc) .  Zach also really likes nectarines.  Just always remove the skin and the pits of the fruits and you're good to go. Zach even ate just normal water ice cubes one time from his mesh feeder.  Weird I know but it's great for when they are teething, plus water is good for them! (I realize not all kids will like this). 
Note for adults:  This puree makes yummy fruit smoothies or shakes!  You can even freeze it in ice cubes and store the same way to keep on hand for easy fruit smoothie snacks after school/work, breakfasts, or banana blueberry shakes for dessert! 

Creamy Tomato Soup: 
I had been wanting to make/try a tomato soup for a while, but I was shy about it because I use to not like tomato soup.  So - I asked my mom to make it for me the last time I was in Montana visiting.  All I can say is YUM!!!!  Zachary loves loves loves it too!  I got the recipe from her and made it for Brian and Zach the night after we got home.  It was surprisingly easy and tasted just as good as when my mom made it.  THIS IS NOW MY FAVORITE DINNER.  love it.

Recipe:
2 1/2 lbs roma tomatoes (cut in half, squeeze seeds out)
1 onion chopped
4 carrots peeled and chopped
1 or 2 potatoes pealed and chopped
1 or 2 cloves of garlic peeled
8 oz cream cheese
4 cups chicken broth

Make sure to chop all veggies up the same size so that it all cooks evenly (just leave the garlic whole, don't cut it only peel off the skin).  Place everything on a foil lined cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and roast at 400 degrees  for 35 minutes - or until tender.  In a blender, blend with 4 cups of chicken broth Do this is stages.  I do about a fourth of the cooked veggies and 1 cup of chicken broth, puree and then pour into a soup pot.  Repeat until everything is pureed and in the soup pot.  This will allow everything to be pureed and will make sure you don't overload your blender and have a big mess).  Add the pureed mix into a soup pan and heat but don't boil.  Cube up the cream cheese and add it in, stir until it is melted and incorporated in.  Done!!  If you don't like the consistency and want it thinner just add milk or water until the desired consistency is met.

I freeze this for both Zachary and myself.  I eat this with a warm grilled cheese sandwich. Zachary LOVES this soup and it's the perfect lunch for me - even the baby portion for me is perfect.... because it's just enough to dip my sandwich in and have 2 bites of soup left.  It tastes just as good after it's been frozen and heated up. 

The best grilled cheese sandwich ever!!:
sliced sourdough bread
butter (use REAL butter)
Gouda cheese (or if you don't want to spend tons of money on cheese use Colby/Mont Jack)

You all know how to do it.... butter the outsides of the bread, put cheese in middle, put on a hot frying pan and turn!  The trick is not to have the pan too hot.  You don't want your bread to burn but you do want a beautiful crispy golden brown and melted cheese. 

There ya go! Email me if you have any questions. I leave you with a picture of my sister Lacey - she dressed up as a 50's housewife for Halloween. So fabulous!! :)


3 comments:

Amy Smith said...

Lacey is an amazing 50's housewife!!!

Aubrie said...

I will file away your info! :) You're a great 50's housewife.

Lacey looks so great!

Clark and Kristen Daniels said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I am totally using these! I need to call you...I hope you have a great Christmas! Love ya!