Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zachary Scott Brown


ANNOUNCEMENT!!! On April 6th at 10am my water broke. I didn't want to get too excited just in case it really wasn't my water breaking.... so I called my doc's nurse and left her a voice mail saying I believe my water broke but I don't want to be one of the girls that has a false alarm and then gets sent back home! Then I plugged in my camera to charge and went about finishing getting ready for the day all while not telling Brian - he was just doing the dishes. Sue then called me back and was like "get to the hospital! Morin is there right now." Luckily my doctor was already at the hospital and everything! We still took our time though. We had to run by H&R Block on the way to the hospital to sign some tax documents. Taxes still happen even if you're in labor :)

So we got to the hospital about 11:30, signed in and got all settled into the OB triage area to see if I was going to be admitted or sent home - I was admitted. Morin checked me and GOOOOSH! My water had just been a small no big deal trickle but when Morin checked me it let the flood gate down. I was like "EEEWWWW I'm sitting in a sauna of my own fluid. Gross!"

We got our hospital room and I just walked around the halls for quite a while as my contractions started to escalate a little. I got an IV in my hand because I had to have antibiotics because of Strep B (just a normal thing bacteria that lives on me but can cause an infection in the baby when coming out of the birth canal so mama gets antibiotics during labor until the baby comes out) but if I wanted to get up and walk they just blocked it off and let me go about my business. I was doing fine and didn't have any drugs but then they needed to start monitoring my contractions a little so I got hooked up to the monitors. My contractions were pretty erratic and still 6 minutes apart so they decided to give me Pitocin BUT before they started that they put in an IUP (Inter Uterine something) monitor. WOW that sucked. I didn't have any pain meds at all - not even Motrin or Tylenol and then they put that thing in. It's this little tube they shove up you and into the amniotic sac so that it will monitor your contractions more accurately from the inside so they can make sure they aren't giving me too much pitocin. WELL there was too much blood on the first IUP so they had to put in a 2nd right after..... I got really pale and was like I'm going to puke! No puking.... but they did get a little basin. Then the pitocin drip was started, I got a shot of some kind of pain killer and anti-nausea stuff in my IV and I just had to shut my eyes because that stuff just made me dizzy for the first 30 minutes. Man pitocin REALLY works on me. I was callin' for an epidural pretty quick because pitcoin makes your contractions feel so much worse than the natural labor. I got the epidural - so so nice - was able to sleep for a tiny bit and then all the sudden it was 8:50 (time flew by for me) and the night nurse wanted to check my progress. I was a 9 1/2! She asked me if I wanted to try pushing or wait until the baby decended a little more.... I was like "well I came here to have a baby so let's try!" We figured out my contraction pattern and when to push, then tried a few pushes and the nurse was like you look good I'll call Morin!

My doctor was awesome! He was such a cheerleader :) When he got in the room Brian asked him if I would be able to push the baby out (because EVERYONE kept telling me wow this is going to be a big baby....) and he said I don't know let's see "push". I pushed and he got all excited and was like "Yep we are definitely going to be able to push this baby out!" So at 9pm I started my actual "pushing" and at 9:38pm lil' Zachary Brown made his entrance into the world! Just under 12 hours of labor :) While I was pushing I kept looking at the clock because once I started pushing having him before 10pm was my goal. So apparently I'm a champion pusher - yeah! :) They didn't even turn off my epidural - I did it all being able to feel absolutly nothing; which was great for me! I had invited my mother-in-law in the room. So I had Brian holding my right leg and Lynda (my mother-in-law) holding my left leg and Morin down at ground zero - all of them were so fantastic! I'm so glad I had them all there :) Less than 12 hours of labor! Pretty impressive for a first baby! I beat all the statistics.

I was totally in shock when Zach came out. Seriously it just didn't hit me that I had a baby. It was all so sureal. It finally hit me after we were all home and I would just be laying around in bed with Brian and Zach - that's when it hit. I have a fantastic studly husband and a perfect handsome little boy - I'm complete. I'm so happy :)


p.s. i specifically say studly and handsome because brian says studly means that women want to stare at the man and handsome means a pretty boy that wants to stare at himself. in this case it's everyone wants to stare at my handsome lil' boy. in the hospital people kept saying "there are some babies you just say are cute but your baby really is really cute!"



SUPER PUFFY! It's been just over 2 weeks and I'm just now starting to shed the last bit of water that your body retains for labor/birth. This was taken sometime during the first easy part where I was walking around the hallways and just hanging out waiting for my labor to progress.


getting all cleaned up at the warming station! Zach popped right after he came out of the birth canal as the doctor was holding him and then pooped again when they layed him down in the warming station to get him all cleaned up. Yeah - he has no problem with gettin' that crap out :)


Getting his cord clamped off. I think it's kind of cool. It's thicker then I thought it would be. Look at those big o' lips :) I was so out of it (in shock) that I didn't see Brian cut his cord - I had to ask him later if he had cut it or not - he did.


Dad and Zachary all bundled up waiting for Mom's epidural to wear off so we can move over to the Mama/Baby unit to our "Suite".


Just chillin' by the window in the sun laying in his hospital bassinet thing after we had taken him to get his photos and while we were getting discharged so we could bring out lil' baby boy home!

There is a professional photographer that has an office in the hospital so you can get newborn photos while in the hospital. We just picked his up two days ago - they're super cute! I don't have a scanner but as soon as I get around one I'll put them on my blog.

5 comments:

Aubrie said...

Okay, so I totally cried when I read this. I know, I am so lame and birth control makes me cry...but YOU'RE A MOM!! He is so sweet and is SO ADORABLE!! I love him!!

You look great!!! And, Brian looks so happy! Keep up these posts!!!

Kyla said...

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!! He is here and SO freakin adorable!! I wish you lived here so I could snuggle him! Babies are the best! Congrats to you and Brian and I hope you get lots of rest!

ShaunaMahana said...

Welcome to the Brown Family, little man! And those are lips that even Angelina would be jealous of. Can't wait to meet him!

Becca said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!! I LOVE HIM!!!! Sooo cute! I cannot wait to get there and hold him and love him! I am going to take over the baby you know! Just so you are aware..hehe! I am glad everything is going well!

Julie said...

He is just beautiful, you did an amazing job, bess wishes!